Due to COVID-19, the County Clerk is instituting the following requirements for marriage licensing:
- Only couples are allowed to attend marriage license interviews with staff. The County Clerk is limiting attendance of the interview to the couple only (independent interpreter if required).
- Do not bring additional family members to the interview. They will not be allowed to travel to the interview, but will be asked to wait in the county's lobby area by security.
- Starting March 23, 2020, couples must call for an appointment (920-832-5077). APPOINTMENT ONLY for interviews.
- Nothing is allowing County Clerks to negate applicable marriage laws.
- All Wisconsin Statutes are in effect relative to marriage licensing (see Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 765).
- No refunds will be issued.
- You must have definitive plans with an officiant to perform your ceremony.
- The County Clerk does not make those arrangements.
- Finally, call our office the day of your interview to confirm open hours (920-832-5077). With the pending health situation, our availability may change.
To apply for a marriage license see:
The County Clerk's Office hours for marriage licensing are (allow at least 20 minutes for the process) as follows.
- Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Notes & reminders:
- Fee Increase: On January 1, 2020, the marriage license fee increased to $115 and the convenience fee for using debit or credit cards increased to an additional $2.53.
- Interviews & Children: Please keep in mind that this is an interview process and an important contractual relationship requiring attention to detail. Due to the time/importance, you may want to consider having extra assistance with children attending the interview.
- Closing & Final Interviews: Both parties must be in our office by 4:00 p.m. for final interviews (allow extra time to clear security and walking to our office).
- Weekends/Holidays & Waiting Period: You may need to allow extra days for the waiting period as our office is not open on weekends and the facility is closed on certain holidays. For a list of upcoming holidays, please click HERE.
- Certified copies of marriage licenses (after marriage is conducted): For information to obtain a certified copy of your marriage license, click HERE
- Marriage Officiants: Marriage license officiant information, click HERE
If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office.