WHO RECEIVES THIS SERVICE?
- Clients of Outagamie County Department of Health and Human Services are referred by staff members. They are elderly, developmentally disabled, chronically mentally ill, drug and/or alcohol dependent and are unable to handle their finances on their own.
- A Representative Payee performs routine financial work for individuals who are not able to handle their own financial affairs. This can include check deposits, check writing and some money management. The volunteer is also encouraged to have monthly contact with the client.
- Maintain reasonable financial records pertinent to the client
- Prepare and deposit client’s finances as needed; write checks as needed for the client
- Prepare necessary annual accounting forms as requested by the Social Security Administration
- Inform Outagamie County Department of Human Services Volunteer Services of any personal changes which affect the client
- Respect confidentiality
- Complete quarterly reports
- Volunteers are eligible to be reimbursed at the current county rate for all mileage driven to complete duties for the client. Meters or parking lot expenses can be reimbursed along with mileage if this is a necessary part of the assignment. Mileage reimbursement forms are completed and submitted to Volunteer Services quarterly. Reimbursement is made directly to the volunteer.
- Interest with working with one of the following client populations: elderly – developmentally disabled –chronically mentally ill – drug and/or alcohol dependent
- Have the ability to work cooperatively with staff and other community agencies involved with the client
- Possess personal stability, sound judgment and reasoning skills
- Be in a position to make a commitment as a representative payee for a period of time
- Ability to maintain a well organized record of client’s finances
- You and our staff will be partners in providing services that otherwise could not be provided.
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity or would like more information, please contact:
Department of Human Services